Your wedding day should go as smoothly as possible. Review these guidelines to ensure your big day doesn’t encounter any snags.
Weddings are processed in the order received in accordance with the Scheduling Guidelines. Submitting an application does not guarantee confirmation; all days and times are subject to availability. A wedding will not be considered confirmed until the applicant has received and returned to Event Management a signed copy of the Graham Memorial Chapel Reservation Agreement and the full rental fee. If both components are not returned within the agreement’s provided timeframe, the ceremony time will be made available to other bookings.
Washington University-affiliated couples may submit an application at the beginning of the month 14 months prior to their requested wedding date. In order to be considered affiliated with the university, the bride or groom (or both) must be a current student, graduate or employee of the university or the child of a student, graduate or employee of the university. Couples that are not affiliated with the university may submit an application at the beginning of the month 12 months prior to their requested wedding date. For example, for any Saturday/Sunday ceremony in June 2015, affiliated couples may submit applications on April 1, 2014, while non-affiliated couple may submit on June 1, 2014.
Applications will be dated and time stamped in the order received and processed 12 months prior to the requested wedding date.
Our online application must be submitted digitally in accordance with the above guidelines.
Event Management must receive all ceremony and rehearsal date change requests in writing. Change requests are not guaranteed and should not be considered confirmed until a new agreement has been issued, signed and returned to you.
Event Management must receive all ceremony cancellations in writing. Cancellations made one year to six months prior will be refunded fifty percent of the total reservation fee. If a cancellation is made within six months of the event date, no refund will be made.
All decorations must be approved, prior to the event, by the Event Management office.
- Nothing may be affixed to any wood surface, including pews, by using putty, wire, tacks, staples, tape or any material that will harm the wood finish.
- Pews may not be moved for any reason without prior written permission from the Event Management office. (Please make sure your photographer is specifically aware of this policy.)
- The only candles allowed in Graham Memorial Chapel are the ones in the candelabras and the optional unity candle.
- Aisle runners are allowed, but must be secured to the floor with low-residue tape. Please avoid the use of disposable aisle runners as they cause a particularly dangerous tripping hazard.
- Only silk petals or paper petals may be scattered on the runner or floor.
Certain activities are not allowed on university property:
- Throwing of rice, bird seed, flower petals, glitter or confetti
- Releasing of balloons
- Posting of signs on trees, lampposts, fences, buildings, street signs or other structures.
Particular activities are not allowed on university property without express written permission from the Event Management office:
- The lighting or use of sparklers or other fireworks
- Releasing of doves or pigeons